SouthWest Bank officially opened its doors for business on January 29, 1999 after a group of bankers and investors purchased Winkler County State Bank – a rural bank located in Wink, Texas. The ownership group consisted of Richard “Buz” Browning, Frank Deaderick, Herb Graham, Ted Roden, Mike Atkins, Dewey Bryant and Lee Huff. These members had professional relationships dating back more than fifteen years and were no strangers to West Texas and the Permian Basin.
The group immediately moved its headquarters to Odessa, located at The Atrium Building on 42nd Street and converted the bank location in Wink to a full service branch. Branch locations at 52nd and JBS Parkway and 8th Street in the Medical District were added in 2000 and 2004, respectively, in order to better serve its clients in the greater Odessa area.
SouthWest Bank branched outside the Permian Basin for the first time in 2007, opening a location in Lubbock, Texas. The board of directors selected John Elliott, a long-time Lubbock banker, to lead its efforts in Lubbock. In addition to adding a bank branch in Lubbock, the bank expanded its product lines to include Mortgage Origination services and gained fiduciary power approval to offer Wealth Management and Trust services to its customers on the Permian Basin and the South Plains.
SouthWest Bank continued to expand and strengthen its commitment to the Permian Basin by opening a full service branch at 1301 W. Wall St. in Midland in September 2013. And adding to its presence on the South Plains, the bank opened its second branch in Lubbock at 1901 West Loop 289 in February 2014.
SouthWest Bank’s commitment to offering quality products with exceptional customer service has made it one of the premier community banks in West Texas.